Wednesday 9 December 2015

Theory as Practise Seminar: Manifesto

Manifesto called First things first

"Designers are involved in the manufacture of contemporary society"

My annotation on the manifesto paper

The aim of this lesson was for us to be in a group and annotate our own sheet of paper, fill it with out perspective.

First task
For our first task it was to find the key phrases that are signposts and respond. When I would find these key phrases, I have to expand these notions from my perspective. Then we had to share our thoughts with each other and then the class. I found four key phrases and near each one of these I wrote my opinion on this. 

First key phrase: "Many design teachers and mentors promote this belief"- Teachers are promoting this safety first consumer lead machine. This means trying to find a balance in teaching us what society typically wants from us and free style we could go for. It seems that any type of education relating to graphic design will have the promotion to advertising, as if our skills are more desirable and effective in this area. 

Second key phrase: "Encouraged in this direction"- As time passes you become persuaded to this because everyone else is moving to that approach.

Third key phrase: "Commercial" & "Inessential"- I understand we as graphic designers have to do commercial work in order to be safe for the future as in paying bills. If we were to do design for a purpose would we not be doing a somewhat commercial work too? So can we really escape it?

Fourth key phrase: "Inessential"- Not absolutely necessary, opposite of essential. 

Second task
The aim is to remove the words, sentences or a whole paragraphs from the manifesto that don't look as if it fits to be your own personal manifesto. Work your ideas into a final design manifesto that is a definition of you and your stance within design. It was easier to think to myself 'How do you define yourself', so I can look at it like it is my personal statement for my portfolio. 

"We undersigned, are graphic designers, communicators in a world most desirable use of our talents. Encouraged in this direction, demand for things that are inessential at best. Increasingly uncomfertable at enviroment. There are pursuits more worthy of priorities."




No comments:

Post a Comment